permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture and urban agriculturein Zimbabw

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture and urban agriculturein Zimbabw
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 23:23:33 -0700

> Regards pellagra problems with an all maize diet. Alkalinity is the answer.
> Just ask the Mexicans who developed maize in the first place.

Exactly; thas' why the Mexican ambassador had the answer for the Italians
300 years ago. But there ain't no lime in polenta today. And no lime in the
corn mealies in Africa. (and they ought to learn how to eat nopales
(Opuntia) too! damn cactus is all over there now too!)

So how can you be a cultural virus & induce mutation in an appropriate
direction?
(This is a serious question altho my phrasing may be a bit glib)
I have my ideas, but I wanna see if other people are as loco as I... and
maybe there are some other good ideas on how to do it.
You don't just go to Zimbabwe and say "Yo! soak yr. corn overnight with
lime!" They'll tell you what YOU can soak in yr. goddam lime.

Just having fun putting the "culture" in permaculture.
-Rick