permaculture - [permaculture] USDA grant-looking for farms to study

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marielle Savard" <msavard@eudoramail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] USDA grant-looking for farms to study
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 20:01:20 -0600

Dear permaculture experts, I am submitting a grant proposal and need some
farms to use as case studies.

The short-term goal of this study is to assess the value of the
implementation of permaculture in the US by doing 5 case studies using cost
benefit analysis.
The supporting objective is to provide information to farmers on an
alternative system of agriculture via extension. This information is valuable
to farmers establishing themselves or changing from conventional to
sustainable agriculture.
We will use private cost benefit analysis. The net present value of the
projects will be calculated. In further research, we will do a social cost
benefit analysis, measuring non-market values e.g. benefits of a cleaner
environment. The next steps of the research plan will be:
1) To compare the net present values of different permaculture projects and
conventional small-scale farms,
2) To assess the costs and benefits of implementing permaculture on a large
scale in the US, and
3) To formulate recommendations to policymakers on the optimal use of
permaculture for achieving cost-effective environmental benefits from
conservation spending on working lands.

The maximum we can ask for is $75000 for this seed grant that is supposed to
lead to a bigger grant. Since I have to visit 5 farms and compensate 5
people, I will have to limit the amount of time spent on each farm.
Our budget is now at 74,997 and we could allocate $750/farm for consultant
fees. The permaculturist might make extra money with the room & board if I
stay on the farm for 5 days. Costs of faxes and other expenses could be
reimbursed under another budget category. And there might be more money
coming from the next grant..
The program officer said that it would strenghten the grant to send letters
of people willing to participate. We would send you a typical letter that you
would sign and return.
Please contact me asap because I am going to China from Nov 21-Dec 29th. The
deadline is Dec. 1.

---
Dr. Marielle Savard
Assistant Professor
School of Business & Public Administration
Maharishi University of Management
F.B. 1026
Fairfield, Iowa 52557
USA
Fax (641) 472-1191
Tel.(641) 472-7000 ext.5504
Tel.(641) 472-9180(home for messages)

Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail account
at http://www.eudoramail.com