permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture and urban agriculturein Zimbabw

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ivone" <florar@terra.com.br>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture and urban agriculturein Zimbabw
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:29:05 -0400

Hi All

Regards pellagra problems with an all maize diet. Alkalinity is the answer.
Just ask the Mexicans who developed maize in the first place. Until today,
tortillas are made by soaking the maize with a small amount limestone
overnight, then grinding to a paste and cooking. SO, every tortilla they eat
contains a small amount of lime.

The result is also a population with strong teeth, strong skeletons,
diseases like osteoporosis (?) is largely unknown. I often saw small old
women carrying heavy loads, and their posture was straight and up right -
the skin highly wrinkled - but no obviously no skeletal problems.

While there I wondered if the high calcium diet wouldn't create problems
with kidney stones etc. Seems they have the antidote for that one too. Nopal
!!! -the cactus common in all of Mexico (Opuntia spp!). They eat the fruit
(delicious) and more importantly they eat the young leaves as well - also
delicious, but remove the prickles first!!!

Skye