permaculture - Re: [permaculture] sources for nitrogen-fixers

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <hemenway@jeffnet.org>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] sources for nitrogen-fixers
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 10:12:50 -0700

Jerome Osentowski wrote:
> Caragana does better in dry areas . Source out the nft that does
> well in your area.

For those of you who are looking for sources of different nitrogen fixing
trees and shrubs (in USA), the two below have many different species and
varieties.

The first is Forest Farm Nursery, 990 Tetherow Rd, Williams, OR 97544-9599,
http://www.forestfarm.com

Their catalog is $4 and it's a book, well worth getting, lots of good info
and thousands of species of Pc plants. Dozens of N-fixers (my current
favorite, from them, is Lespedeza thunbergii, bush clover, a small N-fixing
shrub that is covered much of the summer with fountains of pink-purple
blossoms. They have several related species).

For large orders, go to Lawyer Nursery, http://lawyernursery.com
(downloadable .pdf catalog)
Their minimum order is $200, so join with friends and get bundles of pea
shrubs for $1 per plant, of several varieties. Many other N-fixers and good
Pc plants. Try to order by New Years, cuz they sell out early.

Toby
For a look at my book on ecological gardening,
Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture, visit
http://www.chelseagreen.com/Garden/GaiasGarden.htm