permaculture - Re: [permaculture] where you from?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kirby Fry" <peace@totalaccess.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] where you from?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:56:11 -0500

Hi Treesa,

I live about 50 minutes east of Austin, Texas on a 32 acre plot amidst a
beautiful mosaic of post oak woods and little blue stem grass. Our
watershed runs into the Yegua River and eventually into the Brazos River
before reaching the Gulf of Mexico.

My wife and I originally moved on to the land as a couple, but then the lure
of Austin's night life and new age crowd was too much for her while I was
off working and she split away in order to explore a less restrictive form
of sexuality - meaning not limited to one partner or the opposite sex.

It's very difficult, IMO, to find peers who are willing to live in the
countryside without the glamour and appeal of Austin's night life. As you
can tell, I'm still abit jaded. The Austin permaculture crowd is a nice
bunch of folks who can't seem to ever agree on how or where to start their
intentional communities - too much consensus building required by our
generation which wants everything for nothing.

My hopes are for like minded people to buy the lands around us and create a
loose knit community. I also have dreams of hiring a gardener / cook to
live out here and help harvest and prepare the produce we grow.

"What a long strange trip it's been..."

Kirby Fry

For the real scoop on environmental and social justice issues check out the
archives of Democracy Now!
http://www.webactive.com/webactive/pacifica/demnow/archive.html