permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: A possible read?]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, market-farming@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: A possible read?]
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 23:22:43 -0700

Subject: A possible read?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:55:27 -0500
From: Mike Miller <mmiller@PCSIA.NET>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

This came across the net and may be of interest to farmers. Mike Miller

http://www.gristmagazine.com/books/books102102.asp?source=daily

A review of The Farm as Natural Habitat

by Jonna Higgins-Freese

You'll have to forgive the staid title: Right from the start, The Farm as
Natural Habitat: Reconnecting Food Systems with Ecosystems is thoroughly
Midwestern in tone -- reserved, practical, and down-to-earth. Edited by
long-time sustainable-agriculture advocates Dana and Laura Jackson, a
mother-daughter team, the essays collected here describe farming practices
that mimic and protect natural systems. But if the voice is mild, the message
is urgent: Environmentalists must build ties with farmers if we are to grow
food without destroying topsoil, poisoning our air and water, and killing
wildlife. snip

Jonna Higgins-Freese educates faith groups about the environment, mobilizing
them to address issues including climate change and pesticide use, and
encouraging people to pursue lives of voluntary simplicity. Her work is based
at Prairiewoods: Franciscan Spirituality Center in Hiawatha, Iowa. She is a
fellow of the Environmental Leadership Program.