permaculture - [permaculture] Re: [] () Berkano

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Treesa Jane Rogerson" <treemail@cruzio.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: [] () Berkano
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 01:42:38 -0700

nutty, I agree. no offense, Brave Experimentalist, yet:

a truly primitive person, wishing to attain optimum health? STAYING in a
cold rocky region? To farm? Down in the warm belts the fruits are lobbing
off the trees at you. Basic instinct tells me to go where it is warm.

not using the TOOLs he knows are available and can fashion?

learn how to start fire by friction. What an achievement! oh, but that's
technology.

well so are the fruit trees really, and the domesticated animals you talk of
keeping.

We like to project a lot of disgust onto "technology." as if it is evil.
But story-telling to remember how to plant the seeds and pray for rain, or
how to dance for that matter, is high-yield primitive technology! Maybe I
should get my history right and go back further, to the stone age, but as
soon as you start banging rocks together to create a blade or just make a
sound to arrest your isolation, you will be a technological creature.

I am reminded of the recent discussion about what is native. It's like:
'what is primitive?'

Is there such thing as retro-active primitivism?

All of that work you do will take technologia and techne--systems treatment
and art, respectively.
Killing no animal and being so isolationist seems like living in a bubble,
not PART of nature's life-death trade. Though a meditation retreat and
commune with land,eating raw foods, would be well worth your time.

I'd rather honor the gifts from the ancestors, with lower inputs from
off-site as close to zero as possible.

I want to do it in my own life. Just walk outside, and around, and say
'okay. I am here, no going out, no purchases, nothing.' See if I can start
there, with all the materials and resources I am not even aware that I got.
I think that I would develop a 'must-have' list after such an experiment.
And I would remember all the apple cores I tossed into the highway medians
as an adult, without putting them into my little seed pouch.

I prefer to experiment with new eyes, but keep the gifts of the
ancestors--fire, foot pedaled sewing machine, needle, wool blanket, happy
angora goat,... etc...

BUT KEEP GOING WITH IT, I salute you.