permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Afghanistan redux

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lee Flier" <lflier@mindspring.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Afghanistan redux
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:17:54 -0400

> My point is that getting shot puts a real damper on implementing anything,
> one needs to be realistic about where one can operate successfully. In a
> related note there was an article in the paper this week on the loss of
> Afghani genetics when looters stole the plastic jars the seeds were stored
> in. It's a pretty bad scean over there right now, they need peace keepers
> more than us. Maybe next year if WWIII hasn't broken out.

Mark and all,

I have a friend in the U.S. Army who is currently stationed in Afghanistan.
He has become very friendly with the locals, prefers the native food to Army
mess :-), etc. He doesn't know a thing about PC but he's extremely
enthusiastic, open minded and seems to be pretty good at living a little bit
outside the Army's normal constricts. For example, he's an audio engineer
and is currently building a recording studio in his tent. :-) An all around
good guy. He might very well be interested in learning some PC, or possibly
even tryiing to "sell" his superior officers on the idea of a PC course for
his unit.

If anybody has any ideas along these lines or ways my friend might be able
to help, I can pass them along. He does have a computer and Internet
connection right in his tent, boy did he luck out! :-)

--Lee

What The...?
http://www.what-the.com