permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Afghanistan redux

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <rmwj@soonernet.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Afghanistan redux
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 20:20:54 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: PacificEdge <pacedge@magna.com.au>
>Any ideas?

Thanks for a very interesting overview of the problems. When I think
of such things, it is hard for me to understand what I can do here in
Oklahoma City about problems in places so very far away from here.
But I do know this, and that is that one of the big problems in this
world is the overconsumption habits of the developed world. This
afternoon, one of the speakers talked about how 20% of the world's
population uses 80% of the resources and produces 50% of the trash.
Mother Theresa used to advice the rich to take less, so that there
would be more for the poor. We think of the US as a food exporting
nation, but I think if we really looked at the accounts we would find
that we import as much as we export, and often the places that we
import from are not the places that we export to, so the effect of our
gluttony is that the poor have less.

Thus, while as we are able we should support direct initiatives such
as you describe in your contribution to this conversation, we should
also be more creative and active in encouraging our own neighbors to
use less, and teaching them how to do this, using concepts such as
permaculture. "Let a thousand permaculture schools bloom." Note: our
ability to influence others is directly proportional to what we
ourselves are doing in re "using less so that other can have more," as
Gandhi said, "Be the change you want to see."

Robert Waldrop, Oklahoma City
http://www.oklahomafood.org