permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Gopher control

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Misha Gale-Sinex <mgs2369@attbi.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Gopher control
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:38:49 -0700

Howdy, all--

We've got a bounty of burrowers as well. Like John, I'll be implementing the high-input solution next year--making wire-lined/trenched beds. This year I don't have enough in the ground at our new place to warrant much worry, so I'm mostly observing them.

My next-over neighbor said that when he finds a new gopher mound, he pushes the loose soil off the top to expose the hole. Then packs the hole, as deeply as possible, with powdered lime. He claims that the gophers loathe it, avoid the hole, and retreat. The grassy swales behind his house have far less gopher-pocking than the Insta-Meadows behind our place (i.e., former owners ran mowers over it; I'm letting it grow up).

Like Loren, I'd have no qualms about bonking and roasting the little buggers. They don't seem to have any other predator species around here. The snakes seem to get hit by cars (while basking on warm blacktop) before they get big enough to eat these rodents. We don't have great blue herons this far upland (dry) from the Sound. We could use more badgers, rattlesnakes, gopher snakes, and owls. ;^)

Please note, though, that eating gophers is one cause of tapeworm in dogs. At least a vet friend tells me. I trust that this can be eliminated (no pun intended) by carefully cleaning (gutting) and thoroughly cooking the gophers.

These rodents were food animals for settler and First Nations people, and I have this recipe from the Lost Moose Catalogue:

Gophers, a ready meal
http://www.yukonweb.com/business/lost_moose/books/great/gophers.html

peace
mish