permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Thatch

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kirby Fry" <peace@totalaccess.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Thatch
  • Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 13:56:24 -0500

Greetings,

The thatchers that I have worked with in Texas were from South Africa and
brought in thatch from South Africa in shipping containers. With one
container the thatchers covered five buildings at Animal Farm Permaculture
Center in Sealy, Texas. Animal Farm's owner, Cas van Woerden, is now about
as experienced and knowledgeable as the thatchers he originally hired to do
the job and has lots of ideas about what kind of material to use and how to
get it.

There were two types of plants used, the first was a reed and it is laid
down directly on the roof, in this case cedar poles / rafters with yeopon
branches spanning between them. The reeds are laid down about three inches
thick. Then three more inches of grass is set over the reeds and sewn onto
the yeopon perlins.

Life expectancy is pretty high if I recall... something like 20 - 30 years?
I'll have to ask Cas.
The last thatcher Cas hired to do some repairs (the pitch was too low on a
section of roof and it leaked) was an Irish man from Ohio. He was a very
nice fellow who also sells pre-made thatch roofs for setting up over tables
at kiosks and such.

The Mexicans in Houston thatch many palapas at restaurants with palm fronds.
I hear they're great but don't last as long and the grass and reed. Cheers,

Kirby Fry

For the real scoop on environmental and social justice issues check out the
archives of Democracy Now!
http://www.webactive.com/webactive/pacifica/demnow/archive.html