permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Know of any projects here ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Wesley Trotman" <trrotmanw@bigpond.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Know of any projects here ?
  • Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 08:16:23 +0930

Hi Claude
herewith is some info from our local Permaculture Magazine

Regards

Wesley Trotman

East Timor Stands On The Brink Of Paradise!

As you will remember from the interview in the Q, local permies are up to
exciting things in East Timor. Here¹s an update and an invitation from
Lachlan McKenzie.

Greetings from the newest independent nation on this traumatised yet
persistently beautiful planet.

We are writing in hopes that you will be willing to organise an event in
your area to raise awareness of East Timor and hopefully some funding for
permaculture and education projects we are involved in here.. All you need
to do is throw a party!

We are hoping to coordinate parties in 50 cities and towns all around the
world on Saturday, the 19th of October, 2002.

Permaculture is naught other than ye olde implementation of smart designs
of integrated biotic systems to provide maximum food for humans.
Sustainability, recycling of wastes, and respect for the entire web of life
are core values. In Timor, most people already Olive off the land¹, i.e.
they survive by growing their own food and caring for animals, bartering
with neighbours and reducing dependence on bought and imported goods.
However, in many places people are malnourished, their land is depleted, and
good training has been very limited. Traditional practices (many of which
are very permaculture) were seriously interrupted by the twenty-four year
Indonesian occupation. With a bit of knowledge and training, recovery of
the cultural heritage in sustainable practices, inspiration and seed, the
lives of many here could be dramatically improved.

This is not just another attempt by foreign people to show locals Ohow it¹s
done.¹ We are working in concert with a Timorese permaculture teacher,
Eugenio (Eggo) Lemos, Dip. Perm., who has founded an NGO (non governmental
organisation) which will be responsible for managing whatever money is
raised by these events.

Our group has three main projects to work on this year:

. Establishing a tree nursery as a sustainable, locally owned and run
business, that will serve an important educational function and provide
saplings for reforestation projects throughout East Timor, as well as
propagating and planting valuable food, oil, and timber trees.

. The development of an urban permaculture demonstration home on a normal
size lot in the middle of Dili. It will serve as a site for workshops, and
housing for a few international guests at a time.

. A multimedia educational blitz, including TV, radio and live performances.
Yohan is one of the producers of the first comedy/drama TV in the Tetun
language, Programa Bibi Bulak. It is incredibly popular, and has proven to
be effective at getting ideas into the mind of the general public.

We are planning a big event here in Dili to coincide with the world-wide
events on Saturday, 19 October: a festival of live music, dance, theatre,
and film.

We are asking you to be involved in putting on an event in your area- it
could be a dinner, a rave, a rock concert starring Rod Stewart, passing the
hat at a church basement pancake breakfast, a variety show at a cafe-
basically whatever you have the time and interest for.

ABOUT US
Yohan Blisster has been involved in permaculture and organic gardening
projects back home in the U.S. and Mexico since 1993 (when he took his first
pc course), and assisted teaching courses here in Timor in 2000 and 2001
through the use of theatre. He¹s lived in E Timor for more than a year now.
He works with a small team of Timorese actors and activists to produce the
Bibi Bulak TV show, radio dramas, and live theatre- all in the local
language, Tetun.

Lachlan McKenzie has been involved in permaculture- living, designing and
teaching since 1994 all around Australia, and for six months in E Timor. He
is committed to helping the Timorese in a sustainable way for the long term,
through the dissemination of valuable knowledge and practical reforestation
and food gardening projects. He has been co-teaching permaculture design
courses and is currently working to produce a Tetun language permaculture
handbook specific to conditions here in Timor.

Eggo Lemos is one of the most well known musicians in E Timor. His band,
The New Cinco Do Oriente, has toured extensively throughout the districts in
conjunction with the civic education for democracy campaigns. Eggo sings and
plays guitar and has written several tunes with environmental themes. He has
recently finished an agriculture degree from the University of East Timor.
He has co-taught and translated ten permaculture courses here in Timor.

We will be sending more complete information and photos about Timor and what
we¹re up to for you to download and share with the attendees. We¹ll be very
busy here in Timor over the next few months- the aforementioned projects are
already beginning! Plus, given the expense of internet access here, we won¹t
be able to be in very close contact. Therefore, we ask and trust each group
of local organisers to handle things as you see fit. We¹ll provide you with
the bank account details so funds can be electronically transferred to the
local permaculture NGO. And down the road, we¹ll keep you all posted with
the progress of the projects here and how the money is being put to work.

If you are able to be involved, please let us know ASAP so we can make a
Bauhaus style poster containing the names of all the participating
localities and so we know to whom to send the subsequent info.

Yours in magnanimous pre-emptive thanks and blessing you for all your
projects and endeavours,
- Lachlan, Eggo, and Yohan
If anyone¹s interested in making something happen in SA, contact claire