permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Thatch

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Thatch
  • Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 10:40:38 +0100

georg j s parlow wrote:

> > From what I read the thatch used in Europe was giant reed grass
> (fragmites
>
> depends - also straw was used, mostly oatstraw, i understand, due to high
> silica content lasted longer, or rye (very long). (its phragmites, btw.).
>
> happy thaching
> georg

and in coastal parts here in Ireland, and possibly in other coastal
areas in Europe, Marram grass (Ammophila arenaria) was also used, as
were heather sods. In the treeless blanket bog regions of the west 'bog
oak' or 'bog pine' (trees that were virtually swallowed by the advancing
blanket bogs up to 4000 years ago and preserved in the peat) were
sometimes split for laths to span the spaces between the rafters.

Slán,
Ute