permaculture - Re: [permaculture] diploma in permaculture design

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Pacific Edge Permaculture + Media <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] diploma in permaculture design
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 14:36:39 +1000

On Saturday, July 27, 2002, at 05:39 AM, Graham Burnett wrote:

The imporatnat thing IMHO about PC courses isn't so much the 'facts &
knowledge', which indeed you could proabaly pick up with judicious home
study and reading, and from applied work , so much as the group dynamics,
the fact that for the duration of the course a learning 'community' is
formed, in which group knowledge, skills, personalities, etc come
together... THAT is the really valuable part...

Fiona Campbell and I taught a part-time design course in Sydney for some years and found Graham's comment about the formation of a 'learning community' to be true.

I listened as others told me that a part-time course would never generate the 'community' and bonhomie of a residential course. However, I found that it does. Although the 'learning community' may be a less intense affair than that of a residential course, it was equally convivial and, according to participants, meeting weekly (sometimes more) generated a sense of what Graham calls 'learning community' and allowed people to get to know each other more.

As for gaining a permaculture diploma in 2 months... well in the UK the
diploma process involves a minimum of 2 years applied Permaculture work from
completion of a 72 hour PC design course...

Same in Australia. The Permaculture Institute stipulates this period.

not sure of the diploma's 'worth' as such anyway, personally I see it more about
recognition of one's personal achievement and reaching a certain stage of
deeper understanding of what 'permaculture' is about and how that is
incorporated into one's practice & lifestyle...

Agree completely Graham. It's recognition of the fact the student has completed two years applied work after completing a design course. I think it is valuable for that alone. Like the design course, it probably needs formalising more and a structure or attaining a diploma agreed to by training providers.

Russ Grayson
Sydney, Australia