permaculture - Re: [permaculture] diploma in permaculture design

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] diploma in permaculture design
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:35:55 -0500

At 01:03 PM 7/26/02 -0600, you wrote:
At 07:45 AM 7/26/02 -0500, you wrote:
My advise is to ignore the absurd obsession people have with getting their shiny PC certificate. I have yet to take any PC design course. I have enough knowledge gained from organic farming, grazing, landscaping, ecological restoration and a quick trip through the design manual that it would be a waste of my time to take such a course. IF you can read the books, get out and look at some sites, network with others and fill in any gaps in your education on how to patch the world up a PC course is not necessary. It is only really valuable if you are a relative neophyte. This view is mine alone, I'm sure others will suggest you take a course, and if you have the time and money it sounds like fun. If not just go for it and don't worry about the folks that think PC is a trade marked club for those who went to school.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK
608-846-7125 HM

For those of us who were not born all seeing and knowing a permaculture course is a great way to go and there are some great teachers out there giving good courses, none of them could benefit Mr. Ludwig, I'm sure, but perhaps others might have a slight gap in their knowledge. How would one know if a course was a waste of time if one hasn't taken the time to check it out?

Scott
Director
PC Institute

I expected there would be some snotty reply, nice to not be disappointed. My point is that the knowledge is the important part, and that plenty of folks have it before they ever hear of PC. I don't dispute the value of design courses per se, just wether the are really needed for folks with a good knowledge base. BTW it took a while to get my knowledge base, growing up with a field ecologist father provided a good start, collage level work in soils added to it etc etc. Those with similar backgrounds should save their money or at least take the course in Maui during January (June for those in the global south).