permaculture - Re: [permaculture] walking away/mulching

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: UrthMomma@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] walking away/mulching
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:39:11 EDT

In a message dated 4/22/02 7:04:37 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
genest@together.net writes:

> f you put in a fast growing cover crop ( I love buckwheat)
> you'll shade out errant weed seeds and increase fertility, and give
yourself
> more mulch which will increase fertility which diminishes the need for
> "weeds" to colonize anyway...works like a charm.....

Question on buckwheat -- how long after last frost date should it be planted?
Last year we had a late frost that knocked out the first buckwheat planting
and the second planting about 3 weeks later never did take off.

What recommendations do you have on use of buckwheat as a cover crop ?

Sara in IN