permaculture - [permaculture] buckwheat

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] buckwheat
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:28:41 -0500

At 12:27 PM 4/23/02 +0000, you wrote:

>Sara in IN Wrote:

>Question on buckwheat -- how long after last frost date should it be planted? Last year we had a late frost that knocked out the first buckwheat planting and the second planting about 3 weeks later never did take off.

IMO - It's so cheep I'd be tempted to push the date, in fact I broadcast some just a few days ago, 5 weeks to the official last frost date.

>What recommendations do you have on use of buckwheat as a cover crop ?

Don't let it go to seed, can become a pest quickly.
Jeff

I'm taking a different tack on this. I actually spread it lightly over the whole living mulch garden. This should provide both small flowers for predators/pollinators as well as some soil conditioning. I'll also have some rows and maybe a few beds of the stuff mostly for soil conditioning. If it turns into a weed, then I don't have to buy it anymore. I have also taken to spreading it in ditches, near trees etc. I'm hoping I can limit the mowing and trimming needs around the place and build up more good bugs.

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK