permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Imitating fire

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Imitating fire
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 20:40:31 -0600

At 07:13 PM 4/22/02 -0400, you wrote:

That does sound neat Toby, but I gotta tell you, I'm on the volunteer fire
dept. here and this is our busiest time of year.... around here, people
are in the habit of burning their lawns - - - I Sh*t you not....Kind of a
holdover from the old farming days when burning the stubble was used to
release a quick shot of phosphorous.....Why people think lawn needs added
phosphorous for lawns I've no idea, as I try and tell them : Just try and
get the grass to NOT grow around here !
Are you sure it's phosphorous? I have always heard it was potassium that you got from wood ash. Just checkin'

Scott P.