permaculture - [permaculture] Interview : The Hype....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Interview : The Hype....
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 21:36:25 -0400

WHile I agree with everyone's comments about putting Bill's comments into
perspective, I must confess, maybe it's the American in this Canadian's
veins, but I think turnaround is fair play and a little good ol' fashioned
hype and hucksterism is ok by me ( OUt here it's called "marketing" and it
knows no shame)....

I've noticed in my talks that a good idea can stand on its own merits, but
as soon as I say, "And they're already doing this is Australia....they're
WAY AHEAD OF US ON THIS", boy, that just takes it to another level in
people's minds...people want what others have...

I know Bill pushes the envelope, but with the state of things, the urgency
of it all, is that so wrong ? Sometimes I see Bill's embellishments not so
much as lying about what is, but alluding to what could be..."painting
pictures in our minds"...
In French there' an expression : "parler de moi en mal, parler de moi en
bien, mais parler de moi".....i.e. bad publicity is good publicity too...

LAst thing: I am comforted by Bill's use of "we" I hate feeling alone in
this work... I want to know that there are thousands of like minded folk out
there silently endeavoring towards the same goals and I want it to be called
Permculture, not see it co-opted by sheysterish University programs....

See Bill Go. Go Bill Go !

Claude