permaculture - Re: knowledge, wisdom, words

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: knowledge, wisdom, words
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 13:47:18 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

> All of that evidence is
> perfectly consistent with evolution, and is inconsistent with other
> theories such as Lamarckism and creationism.

Are there folks who actually posit creationism as a scientific theory?
I suppose there are...

I see "creation" (Christian, Aboriginal, whatever - there are at least
hundreds of creation stories) as a metaphorical/mythical explanation
("story") and not a scientific theory. So I avoid the either/or of
"creation *versus* evolution" arguments. They are IMO simply
explanations that arise in different phenomenal domains.

Issac Asimov (I think it was he...) wrote a wonderful short story that
offered a clever and witty explanation of how the two could have
emerged from the same circumstances.

I would be interested to hear of whatever ways scientists (and
permaculturalists :-) who do not reject creation stories (as part of
their belief system, etc.) out of hand reconcile this for themselves.
Part of "listmembers' ecologies," IMO.

=====
John Schinnerer, MA