permaculture - knowledge, wisdom, words

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "S.K. Harrison" <skh23ca@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: knowledge, wisdom, words
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:47:03 -0500 (EST)

> From: "JLKAUFMANN" <jlkaufmann@tenforward.com>

> Evolution, for example, is NOT science -- it
> has never been observed, nor repeated, and so,
> is a belief. <snip>

As with our unnamed friend at bmn@iglou.com, I
will not enter into an argument here regarding
the veracity of evolution. Suffice to say, I
challenge you to make your claims to professional
biologists. Unless you were to choose cranks,
your assumptions would be shredded in short
order.

> If we put all the best scientists, with all the
> best equipment together, they could NOT make
> that one seed.

On the contrary, some day humans might be making
that seed. See Eric Drexlers FAQ on molecular
nanotechnology:

www.foresight.org/NanoRev/FIFAQ.html

For the those manning the anti-biotech guns, I am
not advocating nanotech here and do not want to
enter into an ethical debate about this. I want
to correct John's confusion in this instance
between knowledge, wisdom and science.

As an aside, I consider ethical questions one
aspect of the more general wisdom.

Sean