permaculture - Re: Rabbit/Chicken/Greenhouse Design

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: donahuer@ols.net (Randy )
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Rabbit/Chicken/Greenhouse Design
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:59:44 -0500 (EST)

>In a message dated 2/8/01 7:15:27 PM, lsmitholy@aol.com writes:
>
><< I'm in search of a smart rabbit hutch/chicken coop/greenhouse design that
>takes advantages of the synergies each of the habitants provides the
>others. Can anyone point me in the right direction?>>

Well, rabbits and chickens both graze down to about the same length, but
chickens can peck and scratch for insects. How many there would be based on
the yield of the plants. The rabbits should not have to come into contact
with the chickens manure, but the chickens should be allowed to pick redworm
and other critters out of the rabbit's droppings. One idea is to be
rotational, which might require a larger greenhouse, with some kind of
system that grew horticultural crops directly in the compost of the two
species(mixed with some kind of mineral bulk intitially), a quick growing
forage coming in under the crop(pasture herbs-tough legumes), the rabbits
grazing it, and the chickens finishing up the forage and eating the critters
in the soil compost of the greenhouse. You should tell what kind of inputs
you are confining yourself to. If your plan is to feed the animals on
outside sources(scratch and pellets) and let the manure buildup for the use
of greenhouse plants, then that should work just as well, only you won't
have to work as hard for synergism, just keep the rabbits out of the chicken
manure until it can be incorporated. You would need small mesh guards around
the base of each plant, or around all of young plants. Those plants that can
form adventitious roots should be used, as the compost might might build up
fast. It can be removed at a certain point,the animals can get a stretch,
part of it can be cut with bulk, the greenhouse can be replanted, and then
the whole process can begin again.