permaculture - Permaculture as a career

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Myk Rushton" <permaculture@wave.co.nz>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Permaculture as a career
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 01:28:48 +1200

Greetings
Ross wrote in addition to other things:
> As for making Pc part of your income stream, I am aware of PDC
> graduates going out, full of enthusiasm, to try to generate income form
> Pc. For instance, I've lost count of how many 'Edible Landscaping'
> start-ups I've come across over the years. Seems that, were there time,
> small business planning could be introduced into PDCs. I know of one
> instance where that has been done in Australia.
>
> I believe that the small business model is relevant to Pc where
> people seek to make it part of their livelihood.

Neither of the design courses that I have attended (GB 98/NZ 99) have
attached much importance to the career/business side of Pc. Both courses
concentrating on the curriculum, personal implementation of Pc as part of a
lifestyle, the steps to achieve a diploma in Pc and teaching Pc - all mixed
in with the unique Pc flavour of each country.

Considering the diverse nature of students both courses were more than
adequate at providing graduates with both similar knowledge and knowledge
unique to their country to set them on a useful Pc path.

But perhaps (where appropriate) a PcDC careers section/module giving clear
indication and explanation of where and how Pc may be applied in the main
stream career market [1] and/or direction to where more information about
small business design can be found would help to increase the number of Pc
based graduates or diplomats out there using Pc in addition to just teaching
and/or attempting to implement Pc by rote. Important in this strategy is the
convincing of employers and educational establishments the value of
permacultural as a design disipline for sustainable development which forms
the foundation for a multitude of existing disciplines.

Many ideas spring to mind so they can all go into the pot. In no particular
order:

What mainstream adult educational courses (that lead to a career) are there
that offer favourable entrance to PcDC graduates? Can such reciprocal
agreements be arranged?

Can or are PcDC's be adapted specifically to a place or existing discipline,
as the foundation stone underpinning that discipline?

Can existing mainstream courses be rewritten from a permaculture
prospective?

What possible career avenues have been identified for budding
permaculturalists

Can those involved in main stream education help instigate such policies or
ideas? Are they doing so?

How can graduates apply their previous skills along with Pc and adapt
themselves to untapped or available resources i.e find a niche?

How do we get funding to do this?

Finally! As an observation there does not appear to be enough Pc
practitioners in enough diverse professional positions who's example and
output can be shown as and demonstration to be Pc in action. Perhaps the
introduction of such modules/concepts where appropriate would help to
readdress this balance in the long term?

[1] As the basis for a new approach to existing/new disiplines i.e
sustanability officer, professional volunteer organisers, landscape
architects, wildlife reserve managers, community facilitators, farmers,
conservationists, horticulturalists, ecconomists, councillors, ... etc. In
theory the list is endless because anywhere that Pc ethics and principles
(both old and new) can be applied a job position could exist. I know that
people from such disciplines find and adopt Pc but where are the people who
have found Pc in the last 28 years gone on to attain these positions? I know
of some that exist but how did they do it?

Myk

Caveat: I represent myself and speak only my opinion