permaculture - Re: granite fertilizer? (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marsha Hanzi" <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: granite fertilizer? (fwd)
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:16:23 -0300

I agree with you on questioning how sustainable rock dust or any outside
ammendment is. The one being sold here comes from a large quarry in one
state, so there is a big hole being made there in favor of national
agriculture. The proposal, which is much more sustainable, is to discover
the rich rocks of every region and to use those, instead of depending on
this one quarry, as is the case today, to supply everybody in Northeast
Brazil. I know the person who is at the head of this quarry, and I
perceive no social problems from this particular venture, whereas the rock
dust they are produciong is largely being used by small farmers who want to
get off chemicals, so I do not see anything unethical or antisocial in this
particular venture-- which does not mean I t hink it to be sustainable in
the long run. But as this is a once-only ammendment ( at least in our
case) and only for the plots which are doing more intensive organic
agriculture ( and not agroforestry), the use is minimal...

We never used any outside amendment in our permaculture and agroforest work,
but I have been working in one region which is so severly degraded that we
have begun using the rock dust, with promising responses. We were unable to
get organic mass going before-- even the native brush was takinig years to
regenerate...It is a region subject to yearly wildfires. But I hope in the
future to perfect our management techniques so that even in these harsh
conditions we can revert the situation with no buy-ins of ammendments...

Marsha Hanzi
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia
http://www.geocities.com/oliarte