permaculture - Women's introduction courses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal@iname.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Women's introduction courses
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 17:10:14

I'm jumping in a little late here, as I've been away, but I'M BACK!

A few years ago, my husband and I attended a course in Solar Adobe in
Belen, NM. Of course, the course offered a tuition reduction for
spouse/companion. They also offered a course for 'women only' later in the
year.

The experience with the workshop was a good one, but I did notice that the
only women in the course tended to be present along with their husbands.
The only singles happened to be men. I also noticed that since I am a very
small person, all the men tended to try to 'protect me', other than my
husband, who knows my strengths and has learned that I prefer to 'do it
myself'. It almost became a struggle to be 'allowed' to actually do any
hands-on work, then when I insisted on participating on my own behalf, some
of the others in the class (men and women) seemed to become uncomfortable
with my presence, although I tried very diligently to be gracious of the
efforts made on my behalf.

Although I enjoy the company of my husband and other men, I believe I would
have had a better experience had I gone to the womens only workshop, as I
would have been able to participate without 'help' unless I requested it.
I know that my husband enjoys his 'men only' activities also.

It seems to me that there are many women out there who do not have husbands
or mates and would still like to participate in these workshops without
feeling uncomfortable being 'alone' in a predominately male atmosphere. It
also gives us a chance to relax, bond and socialize among our peers.
Let's face it, we are different and sometimes we enjoy
being 'seperate'. We are also able to focus on the physical problems that
may be essential to women, strength issues, height, etc.

I have become increasingly aware over time of the specifics of workshops,
seminars and educational opportunities that have become available to women.
One of my favorite opportunities for women is outdoor education. While my
husband initially thought that it was unnecessary for women only groups,
once I explained to him that even though I am an avid camper and
backpacker, I may not be so inclined to participate in a group that is
predominately male. I like having the opportunity to enjoy the wilderness
without the uncomfortable issues that sometimes crop up when you are the
'only female' within the group.

It's a matter of preference only. I don't mind when single males backpack
with my husband and I, and they don't 'seem' to experience the same issues
as I. I believe many women continue to be 'timid' within a group of the
opposite gender and 'women only' groups enable them to participate in the
things they truly enjoy without engaging in the discomfort they may
experience otherwise.

Blessings,
Ava

  • Women's introduction courses, Ava Devenport, 05/15/2000