permaculture - Re: Khiza'a Permaculture Centre in Gaza Strip

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Permacltur@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Khiza'a Permaculture Centre in Gaza Strip
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:14:58 EDT

In a message dated 7/23/99 6:27:33 PM, pci@permaculture-inst.org writes:

<<>Dan

I think you are being a little harsh in the case of Bill, I don't have any
connection with New Alchemy, and he doesn't deserve bashing given his
contributions to pc and the world. I think that if you check his writings
and his public statements he is very good at attribution. Bill's ego isn't
that enmeshed in rideing on other's accomplishments, his ego has other fish
to fry.

I also remember my grandmother's wise statement, "He who tootith not his own
horn, the same shall not be tootith.

Scott>>

Scott:
No one doubts that permaculture would be virtually unknown without
Bill's contributions. But his zeal for giving credit seems, to put it as
gently as possible, erratic. You disagree. It may be well to leave it at
that. As I said to you once before, all of us have our little wrinkles.
Bill is no closer to perfection than anyone else. He has surely done more
good than the vast majority of people, speaking of outcomes here only.

The work with mulch was done at New Alchemy and reported before Bill
came to the USA. I think it was by Coleen Armstrong but it could have been
Hilde Maingay or another woman whose name slips my mind--Susan ... ah, I've
got it, Susan Irving or Irvin. My guess is that it was Colleen. The
version attributed to Bill leaves out a few critical details. Bill visited
New Alchemy Institute a number of times in the early 1980s during which time
he secured the forwarded to Permaculture II by Earle Barnhart, then the tree
crops guy at New Alchemy. Earl was married to Hilde, John Quinney, who took
the same course with Bill that I did, married Colleen. And I think that
Susan eventually got hitched to Bill MacLarney, who wrote the warmwater
aquaculture book and helped to found New Alchemy South, now known as ANAI, in
Costa Rica. This was probably the greatest eugenics project selecting for
environmentalist that the world has known. :-)

Lighten up.

Dan