permaculture - Re: Khiza'a Permaculture Centre in Gaza Strip

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Khiza'a Permaculture Centre in Gaza Strip
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 12:48:27 -0400 (EDT)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. -+|+- Venaura Farm
london@metalab.unc.edu lflondon@worldnet.att.net
http://metalab.unc.edu/london, /permaculture, /ecolandtech
EcoLandTech -+|+- InterGarden -+|+- Permaculture

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 Permacltur@aol.com wrote:

> One method I really liked is filling the dividing/walking spaces
> between raised crop beds with mulch, all the way to the cropline
> along the sides of the beds. >>
>
> Of course this was pirated from the New Alchemy Institute.

:-) LOL

Anyway, Dan, I'm sure folks have been using this technique for thousands
of years. I'm sure my ancestor Rocky Stoneaxe might have used it too.
Should be standard operating procedure for any gardener.

Its definitely in the AGOTO Dept. (amazing grasp of the obvious) for
all but the brain-dead Roundup-ready sycophant toadies in our society.

Digging a raised bed may involve shovelling dirt from an access path
onto the adjoining area then filling the excavation with mulch to the
cropline on the bed - conserves moisture and nutrients - supplies
nutrients as the mulch rots and water as well since the mulched
area serves as catchment - if the bed itself is mulched, even less
irrigation is required. Open area not in raised bed can provide nearly
all the mulch required from harvested weeds; fertility of this area
can be enhanced with legume plantings - lespediza is a very hardy
and permanent N2-fixing crop - if mixed with edge plantings of eleagnus
even more N2 can be made available - endless possibilities.

What's your take on building and maintaining raised beds (for any crop)?

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: london@metalab.unc.edu
leave-permaculture-75156P@franklin.oit.unc.edu