permaculture - Re: kudzu

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Martha Ruth Hills (MelbPC)" <mrhills@melbpc.org.au>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: <jwb@sanynet.ne.jp>
  • Subject: Re: kudzu
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 07:48:59 +1100

Hi everyone,

Permaculture Melbourne's Heritage Fruit Group just hosted the annual meeting
of the Seed Savers Network (here in Australia). One of the concepts that
has
jumped out at me is exotic vigour -- frequently shifting a plant to a new
climate
results in amazing growth (radiata pine, coffee). Even though the genetics
are
the same, the outcomes can be very different, so watch out. The change can
be good (as in, what humans want) or bad (either side of the scale, puny or
too vigorous). So I would encourage trialling everything.

onward, MR

Martha Ruth Hills

Our life is more than our work and our work is more
than our job.

>The story is told of the Northern fellow that went down South (USA) and was
>admiring the pretty kudzu vines. He asked a local the best way to
cultivate the
>plant, since he wanted to grow some in his garden. The local's response:
"Well,
>near as I can figure, you throw some on the ground and run like heck!".
Kudzu
>CAN be very rampant, but I understand it is grown as a crop in Japan?
>
>Stacy Charland
>Stacy_Charland@nih.gov
>Poolesville, Maryland USA

  • kudzu, Jonathan Bentley, 11/06/1998
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: kudzu, blissv, 11/06/1998
    • RE: kudzu, Charland, Stacy (NIGMS), 11/06/1998
    • Re: kudzu, Martha Ruth Hills (MelbPC), 11/07/1998