permaculture - Re: Vegan Pc - again

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michael Miller & Ute Bohnsack" <burrenag@iol.ie>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Vegan Pc - again
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 14:13:06 +0100

Lee, I'm afraid you are mistaken where it comes to the space needed to feed
vegans/vegetarians versus 'omnivores'. Unfortunately a very big proportion
of the domestic
animals in the western world do not graze on native grasses or browse
trees/scrub - in fact, a lot of them never ever see so much as a blade of
grass; they are kept indoors and fed huge amounts of concentrates, grains,
soybeans etc.
which are grown in large-scale intensive tillage plots. I don't have up to
date figures but I saw figures in the early eighties which stated that
"four-fifth of Swiss cows 'graze' in the Third World", i.e. they were fed
on imported concentrates. Also think of the huge areas of rain-forest
cleared in the Amazon region to create grazing land for cattle to supply
beef burgers to the US.
If the grains/legumes were eaten directly by humans it would take a lot
less space to feed them all.
Obviously it's a different story if we are talking about organic integrated
/ PC systems where animals are part of the nutrient cycle on a holding and
graze/browse areas that cannot be put to a use which would directly feed
humans.
Personally I was a vegetarian for 12 years. I now eat meat maybe once a
month (home-butchered goat kid or the odd chicken and home-butchered
venison or pork which the neighbours kindly supply at times).
What I'm trying to say is that there are *huge* differences in terms of
production systems.

I wholeheartedly agree with your other post "re: vegan permaculture".

Greetings from Ireland,
Ute