permaculture - RE: Vegan Pc - again

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Eugene F. Monaco" <EFMonaco@compuserve.com>
  • To: "INTERNET:permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Vegan Pc - again
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 16:08:25 -0400

One more problem with acting as though animals don't exist in the system is
what happens when we fail to assume our role as the human caretaker. I
don't have all the answers on this one, but it seems to me that in a
balanced system, natural selection should occur. If not natural selection,
then some sort of planned selection. In either case we become predators:
either selecting certain plant species at the expense of others we deem
less desirable; or by hunting. Hunting done with respect strengthens the
herd. We should always take the slowest and weakest, using every part of
the plant or animal as much as we can. In this context, we have a duty to
hunt and select. Failure to do this, to assume our role as the human
caretakers, is as serious a violation in permaculture as any other.

Gene Monaco