permaculture - Re: Vegan Pc - again

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lee Flier <lflier@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Vegan Pc - again
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 13:32:26 -0400

Ute wrote:

>Lee, I'm afraid you are mistaken where it comes to the space needed to feed
>vegans/vegetarians versus 'omnivores'. Unfortunately a very big proportion
>of the domestic
>animals in the western world do not graze on native grasses or browse
>trees/scrub - in fact, a lot of them never ever see so much as a blade of
>grass; they are kept indoors and fed huge amounts of concentrates, grains,
>soybeans etc.
>which are grown in large-scale intensive tillage plots.

Yeah I know. That's why I don't eat meat (well among other reasons).
However we aren't discussing animals the way they are raised in factory
farms, we're discussing Permaculture systems. If you have no choice but to
eat factory farmed animals or else be vegetarian, believe me, I vote for
being vegetarian! But when you design a Permaculture system you don't put
your whole piece of land under cultivation - a lot of it is presumably
restored to native forest or grassland, which contains a lot of things that
people can't eat but animals can. However the people can eat the animals,
making it then unnecessary to put a lot of land under cultivation of wheat
and soybeans. So in a PC system, animals make it possible to eat and
without destroying native ecosystems... that is obviously not the case in
conventional agriculture!

= Lee =

Lee A Flier
lflier@mindspring.com