permaculture - Re: Vegan PC - again

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mgd5@cornell.edu
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Vegan PC - again
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 10:52:22 -0400 (EDT)

Jen:

The meatless or vegetarian discussion sometimes sounds proselytic. And
there are those who merely say, "I choose to feed myself in this way".
The diversity of choices for how one feeds oneself in this world is just
another sign of how we reflect the Earth's diverse cultures (human and
otherwise).

The story of Sky Woman and corn, beans, and squash has a fascinating
wrinkle I've always thought had intrinsic lessons. For instance I've heard
that red meat contains 12 amino acids, but that corn/beans/squash contains
10 proteins. I've often thought that the two proteins missing from the
Three Sisters might account for some differences in human temperament. The
myth of meat-eater Amerindian hunter-gatherer society's is set against the
wide agricultural variety. We also ate lots of fish, fowl, and small game.
Red meat was a festival and ceremony food, eaten far less frequently than
was thought before.

We seemed wary of two proteins that triggered barbarism. But I haven't
been able to find a name for those two proteins in our arts and sciences.
I believe they're in there somewhere.
All Food Is Medicine. Niawen.

Michael Doxtater
Thohahoken,