permaculture - RE: Vegan Pc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mgd5@cornell.edu
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Vegan Pc
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 11:41:49 -0400 (EDT)

Everyone:

In Amerindian cultures the debate over meat and vegetables isn't nearly a
meat-and-potatoes dispute. There is a mythology about great
hunting-and-gathering cultures of the Americas, that red meat was a staple
for our diets. Actually, meat was used mostly in ceremony, where large
numbers of people were gathered for the many festivals and gatherings our
People held. Small game, fowl, and fish were the staple non-veg foods.
While corns-beans-squash represent a balanced protein equivalency to meat,
thereby relieving pressure on other species from hunting by human beings,
meat was still an acceptable complement to vegetables. The reasons are
spelled out in the "kanonweratensera", or thanksgiving address which is
used occasionally to remind of us of why all these were given.

In the thanksgiving address we are reminded that all creatures and plants
are part of the living world. Each have a duty implicit in what they are.
As part of this cosmology we are constantly reminded that "All Food Is
Medicine". Thus, animal and plant are healers. To differentiate between
the healing power of animals and plants is to dishonor their power.

Of course, by not killing what you eat, you also dishonor that power.

And now for fish. Fish, in this cosmology, derive from the great force of
the waters. This force is integral to our health as well. The saying goes
like this: "we give thanks to the spirit of the waters, for the life and
power in the waters, which is our life and our power."

All Food is Medicine.

I hear you've set aside this day as Earth Day. So, Happy Mother Earth Day
to you all.

Michael D.
Thohahoken
Cornell University