percy-l - RE: [percy-l] gay marriage

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Parlin, Steven" <PARLINS AT culver.org>
  • To: "'Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [percy-l] gay marriage
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:23:42 -0500

Title: Message

Alexander Pope was an insightful man... I think this is apropos to parts of our discussion.

Vice is a monster of so frightful mien, As to be hated needs but to be seen; Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face, We first endure, then pity, then embrace.

Robert, while this is not a "screeds" free citation (I'm not quite sure if that is even possible) it is among the most clearly stated intellectual positions regarding this matter of homosexuality (which in the end really isn't an issue of its own, but is the banner for a much larger cultural shift regarding family, marriage, and sexuality), that I have read.

In fact, for anyone really interested in understanding the Church's concerns, I think this is probably one of the finer "lay" documents available.

http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft9403/articles/homo.html

Steve