percy-l - [percy-l] Post modernism

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion of Walker Percy

  • From: "James Piat" <piat1 AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] Post modernism
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:36:15 -0400

Title: Message
Dear Folks,

I wonder if there is something like the Heisenberg uncertainty principle that applies truth and meaning.  Perhaps we can not simultaneously know both the meaning and the truth of what we are talking about.  When the meaning of assertion is completely specified its truth becomes trivial.  Conversely the more general the truth the less clear its meaning. But they are complementary in such a way that makes simultaneous specification of them impossible.  Maybe there is some measure of either truth or meaning in what the post moderist are trying to convey.

Aha  -- I just got your comments about Percy and post modernism, Marcus!  I'm glad to hear that.

Jim