percy-l - Re: [percy-l] gay marriage

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Hghwy6 AT aol.com
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] gay marriage
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 03:25:21 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/03 11:24:31 PM Central Daylight Time, piat1 AT bellsouth.net writes:

  I thought the term homophobic
was generally reserved for disproportionate attacks on homosexuals.  Attacks
that seemed inexplicable and irrational  --like church burnings.

With respect, Jim, I suspect you might agree that your very word for describing a "disproportionate" response (nevermind the Powell doctrine) is used quite disproportionately in response to rational discussions and -gulp- judgments regarding behavior (and when we surrender the right to judge behavior we surrender the rest of our rights as well).  Presumably, we all have homosexual friends, family or colleagues; that doesn't exonerate us from the burden of thought.  If my best friend has the perpetual sniffles, must I accept cocaine use as a valid _expression_ of human longing?
       Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here (a testament to the quality of this list that so many views are expressed more intelligently than my humble means alow), but I think the arch of this discussion is that words (marriage, homophobe, or any other) have meanings.  Part of the postmodern agenda seems to be to "liberate" words (the current target being "marriage") from fixed or agreed meanings that they may be arbitrarily appropriated for political goals (right or left, or whatever).   If you judge me to be a reactionary or a bigot, that is your right.  I won't be offended as long as you're clear on what is signified by the label.

I didn't know Percy, and have no direct channel, but I think his hunt for the wily MadHatter is pretty recognizable, noble, maybe quixotic, and hopefully alive via this list and its contributors.   After being pulled into many unwanted debates over this gay topic the last several weeks, I didn't think an interesting discussion was possible.  Thanks, Jim, Mike, Steve, and everyone for proving me wrong, and providing worthy distraction from the paper that looms malevolently before me.  Now back to the MASH reruns on my local UHF...damn that smug sonofabitch Hawkeye.

Best,
John

PS - FDR said we had nothing to fear but fear itself.  Does that make us phobiaphobes?