percy-l - Re: [percy-l] gay marriage

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion of Walker Percy

  • From: "James Piat" <piat1 AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] gay marriage
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:53:11 -0400

Excellent stuff. To deny our faculty of judgment out of some sense of
guilt or to cede it to a higher authority rather than embrace it with
all the intelligence and conscience at our disposal is to deny our
humanity. I take this as a given, whether Christian or not.

RP

Dear Robert,

Given what you say above, how does a Christian square his humanity with
faith in God or the Bible as the revealed word of God -- isn't faith in
God and/or the Bible a form of ceding one's faculty of judgment to a higher
authority? For example, can a Christian judge the Bible or is the Bible to
be taken on faith and one's judgment limited only to determining what the
Bible means and whether or not various behaviors are in accord with the
teachings of the Bible? I'm not trying to be argumentative here -- I'm
really curious how you sort this out.

Jim Piat