pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] I'm back / sunday status report

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] I'm back / sunday status report
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:14:32 -0700

Chad Knepp wrote:

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:
> Chad Knepp wrote:
> > Not sure. I don't think it is completely clear who is doing what and
> > might not be that clear until platform is resolved. We have said in
> > the past that Rich would work on the client and I would do the server.
> > Most of the discussion lately has been about the server. I'm a little
> > nervous working with Rich because I don't think we are really on the
> > same level. I think we can work together but I think there should be
> > either a clear task delineation or an understanding that our working
> > relationship will not be consensus based and that I will lead the
> > technical direction.
> > So how does permaculture.info derive the best and most that you and
> Rich have to offer? Is Rich going to develop the software using
> MySQL and or and not Zope and you Zope and or not MySQL or will
> both of you use MySQL or Zope?

I wasn't suggesting we work on seperate projects, more that we devide

I wasn't suggesting that either. Just curious what combinations of Zope and
MySQL are possible, if desired.

the project as we suggested early on... Rich does the client and I the
server.
> I like many of the ideas Rich has put forward, especially future
> bells and whistles and many of yours as well. Can't we have a
> combination of the best each of you has to offer? Can HG be done
> partly in MySQL and part in Zope?

I also wasn't suggesting using MySQL at all and I don't think that it
would be a good idea to use both. In the future, we could use Zope to
talk to a MySQL (or similar RDBMS) database if we happen to acquire
some data that way and for some reason or another we can't import into
ZODB. I think Rich has said as well that he is ok using Zope.

> There must be a way to work all this out to everyone's satisfaction.

I'm sure there is.

I'm supportive of whatever you and Rich decide to do as long as the
project ends up on ibiblio within a reasonable timeframe (so they can
watchdog it and so we will avoid
years of server and maintenance costs). A lot of us really want this project
to happen and for it to meet
everyone's expectations to become a world class PC info resource, as PFAF
currently is for plants, and are looking
forward to many years of using and supporting it.