pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] I'm back / sunday status report

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] I'm back / sunday status report
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:45:01 -0700

Chad Knepp wrote:

> Well, four days went without a counter proposal, so I'll put out
> another one more or less like the last one.
>
> I propose that we use the Zope platform to implement
> HG/permaculture.info starting on arashi.com. When we have a product
> available for mainstream use we will either move to ibiblio if Zope
> is available or purchase hosting services from a commercial provider
> such as johncompanies. We will continue to seek out funding to
> procure a server for ibiblio and/or encourage establishment of a
> Zope platform at ibiblio and hopefully migrate there before the end
> of the year
>
> > 3. Vote on name: Permaculture Information Web or Open Permaculture
> > Project?
>
> I like them both equally well, but 'Permaculture Information Web' more
> closely matches the domain name, so I cast my vote for that.

Does this imply database or web portal? How about Permaculture Informationweb;
and you can still add Open Permaculture Project as a third title. I like all
three:

permaculture.info

A Permaculture Informationweb
or
A Permaculture Information Web

(part of) The Open Permaculture Project [this could be the web portal part of
permaculture.info]

the OPP could become a collaboration of permaculture websites,
a project we could initiate wherein we seek to encourage pc or pc-oriented
groups
around the world to, in addition to contributing to permaculture.info, go
online with websites of their own
or actually provide them with hosting (low dollar commercial or free on
ibiblio). We may find HG contributors
who will want to go beyond permaculture.info and build their own independent
online collections which we link to
(URL or <object>) as we help get and keep them online. If their pages are in
XML, Rich has said that we can easily
extract their data into our database.

> > 4. Whoever is in charge of shared web workspace (as determined Week 1)
> > creates it $(G!9 Who is responsible for this? And was this ever done?
>
> What is it? I thought this was just the wiki.

Would a temporary website on ibiblio be of use, as in
www.ibiblio.org/pcplantdb or some other name?

> > 2. Chad and Rich $(G!9 I am currently combining both of your tasks.
> Should I
> > not do this, or can you two communicate collectively about your joint
> > tasks and divide responsibility amongst yourselves? If you would like
> me
> > to separate your tasks, I,F"d be glad to, just let me know.
>
> Not sure. I don't think it is completely clear who is doing what and
> might not be that clear until platform is resolved. We have said in
> the past that Rich would work on the client and I would do the server.
> Most of the discussion lately has been about the server. I'm a little
> nervous working with Rich because I don't think we are really on the
> same level. I think we can work together but I think there should be
> either a clear task delineation or an understanding that our working
> relationship will not be consensus based and that I will lead the
> technical direction.

So how does permaculture.info derive the best and most that you and Rich have
to offer?
Is Rich going to develop the software using MySQL and or and not Zope and you
Zope and or not MySQL
or will both of you use MySQL or Zope?

I like many of the ideas Rich has put forward, especially future bells and
whistles and
many of yours as well. Can't we have a combination of the best each of you
has to offer?
Can HG be done partly in MySQL and part in Zope?

There must be a way to work all this out to everyone's satisfaction.