pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] I'm back / sunday status report

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] I'm back / sunday status report
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:23:20 -0500

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:
> Chad Knepp wrote:
> > Not sure. I don't think it is completely clear who is doing what and
> > might not be that clear until platform is resolved. We have said in
> > the past that Rich would work on the client and I would do the server.
> > Most of the discussion lately has been about the server. I'm a little
> > nervous working with Rich because I don't think we are really on the
> > same level. I think we can work together but I think there should be
> > either a clear task delineation or an understanding that our working
> > relationship will not be consensus based and that I will lead the
> > technical direction.
>
> So how does permaculture.info derive the best and most that you and
> Rich have to offer? Is Rich going to develop the software using
> MySQL and or and not Zope and you Zope and or not MySQL or will
> both of you use MySQL or Zope?

I wasn't suggesting we work on seperate projects, more that we devide
the project as we suggested early on... Rich does the client and I the
server.

> I like many of the ideas Rich has put forward, especially future
> bells and whistles and many of yours as well. Can't we have a
> combination of the best each of you has to offer? Can HG be done
> partly in MySQL and part in Zope?

I also wasn't suggesting using MySQL at all and I don't think that it
would be a good idea to use both. In the future, we could use Zope to
talk to a MySQL (or similar RDBMS) database if we happen to acquire
some data that way and for some reason or another we can't import into
ZODB. I think Rich has said as well that he is ok using Zope.

> There must be a way to work all this out to everyone's satisfaction.

I'm sure there is.