pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][10][8.15.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][10][8.15.04]
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:16:41 -0500

Richard Archer writes:
> Seeing the limited grant money spent on hardware rather than
> development would almost make me cry.

I agree.

> I'm only a bystander here, but I'd have thought developing this
> system in the most widely available development environment would
> make most sense.
>
> And it is apparent that since your chosen host doesn't run ZOPE
> that ZOPE is not widely available and therefore not the most
> appropriate system to develop this project in.

Not actually. Our preferred host doesn't currently run Zope, although
they have in the past. The fact that a given host doesn't currently
have Zope available is not an indicator of it's overall availability.

> PHP/MySQL or PHP/PostgreSQL are almost ubiquitous.

I'm assuming that your preference for PHP is based somewhat on the
fact that you do website development in PHP?

> All these "edgy" platforms like ZOPE and even python to a certain
> extent are great for geeks to experiment with but they're hardly
> suitable for developing a mainstream package.

I disagree with your analysis that python is anything short of a
mainstream technology. Ever here of a website called google? What do
you think they use?... or does it work for them just because they are
geeks? I can give lots more examples if you would like.

Zope is a bit more cutting edge but hardly a geeks only platform.