pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][10][8.15.04] The Force ($$)

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org, pyg@galatea.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][10][8.15.04] The Force ($$)
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:42:50 -0700

Richard Archer wrote:
Seeing the limited grant money spent on hardware rather than
development would almost make me cry.

I'm only a bystander here, but I'd have thought developing this
system in the most widely available development environment would
make most sense.

And it is apparent that since your chosen host doesn't run ZOPE
that ZOPE is not widely available and therefore not the most
appropriate system to develop this project in.

PHP/MySQL or PHP/PostgreSQL are almost ubiquitous.

All these "edgy" platforms like ZOPE and even python to a certain
extent are great for geeks to experiment with but they're hardly
suitable for developing a mainstream package.

...R.

I was going to offer a minimum of $2200 in quarterly payments over two years
to supplement
programmers wages if we decided to use grant money to buy a Zope platform.

Instead I will donate that same amount and possibly more toward programming
costs
(if necessary, paid directly to Chad through the PI) if Chad will agree to
use ibiblio hosting
and software other than Zope. I'll bet we could use my donation to generate
matching funding
from other sources. Would the permaculture Credit Union bestow a small grant
to us? After all this project
is something that will benefit them too, in the long run.

I hope we can go this route. If we can put this product online I expect to
see considerable interest in the permaculture community
and a steady and increasing flow of contributions of data and photos to the
database.