pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][10][8.15.04]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][10][8.15.04]
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:56:36 +0100

Chad Knepp wrote:

Richard Archer writes:
> Seeing the limited grant money spent on hardware rather than
> development would almost make me cry.

I agree.

> I'm only a bystander here, but I'd have thought developing this
> system in the most widely available development environment would
> make most sense.
> > And it is apparent that since your chosen host doesn't run ZOPE
> that ZOPE is not widely available and therefore not the most
> appropriate system to develop this project in.

Not actually. Our preferred host doesn't currently run Zope, although
they have in the past. The fact that a given host doesn't currently
have Zope available is not an indicator of it's overall availability.

Its a waiting game. Either we get cracking now
with what we have, or wait 6 months for zope to appear
(if it does).

I'm for getting cracking now.

Unfortunatly this means no Zope, to start with.

As step 1 we have to develope the data model for
how we want to represent plants.

An SQL system will do just fine for this.

If Zope comes online it can easily access the SQL,
so we wont loose much work.

At the current stage, the key point is working out
the data model. How do we actually represent
structured, extensible and editable data.

Too be convinced of Zope I would need a few things
1) A hello world with objects
2) Some idea of the class hierarcy

Part 2) is good anyway. With that we can start looking
at just how hard it is to implement any system.
And start looking at our data model in depth.

Hum

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org