pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] technical details, plan, re: synthesis

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Howe" <warlock@arashi.com>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] technical details, plan, re: synthesis
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:51:07 -0700 (PDT)

> So I'm just going to summarize the stuff I wrote earlier.
>
> o We need to settle on a platform. I would like to use Zope 2.7.2,
> the latest stable version and python 2.3.4 (or 2.3.3). More below.
>
> o John H.: Can we start with your box, at least until things get
> more settled? If so, can we use the above versions? If you are
> short on time or don't want to mess with differing global versions,
> I can (w/shell access) do a local install and run it nohup on a high
> port so the group can play with it. I can also be talked into
> different versions with convincing arguments.

I was planning to have that completed by the end of this week.

> o Zcatalog is for Zope objects. This still may be what we want, but
> I really haven't spent much time looking at Zope itself. There is a
> package for ZODB called IndexedCatalog
> <http://async.com.br/projects/IndexedCatalog/> which should provide
> the needed functionality independent of Zope. I don't know what we
> will end up using but I do think that we have the tools in the Zope
> package to do the job.

I can add that to the install queue.

> o ZODB does not have the built in capability to track individual
> user edits infinitely. It has ACID style transactions with undo
> (depending on storage type) just like any good RDBMS, but this is
> for consistency and needs to be purged frequently or the database
> will die of bloat... plus rollbacks can't happen on something that's
> changed twice. In summary, unless we commit to programming a system
> of tracking everything every user does (fairly complex), we should
> go with the simpler method of adding an author credit to objects
> that given authors add/modify.

Or some sort of moderation system... or preserve the rollback info in
backups, then truncate the DB.

> Aug 2-4 Finish demo accounting/budgeting app. in ZODB w/CLI
> Aug 5-7 Create a Zope front end for app (to learn Zope)
> Aug 8-12 Start and finish 1 of my plan (Week 2 of Project Plan)
> Aug 13-14 Get it running somewhere/somehow

That seems on target with my schedule >;}~

> > -ZOPE $(G!9(B Lawrence called me tonite and filled me in on the ZOPE
> situation,
> > thanks Lawrence. And thank you John H. for offering to correspond to
> > Ibiblio about this! Have you done so? When do you think you will?
> > Please let me know, so I can add it to the project plan.

I haven't spoken with ibiblio formally yet. I would need some time to
document a draft and pass it around for approval.

> My take and I think John^2's is that Zope is the better choice. It
> will probably take more time to get going with it, but with all the
> built in tools and packages available it will probably save time in
> the long run. Although I don't know how it will perform I'm pretty
> confident that we can optimize performance bottlenecks as we go along.
> We can in fact use MySQL (or another RDBMS) as the storage backend to
> ZODB if FileStorage isn't fast enough or becomes unscaleable.

Zope isn't as fast as apache, however, there are optimization/caching
techniques to be tuned. Scaling has been talked about with ZEO ( Zope
Enterprise Objects ).

> Yes, but I often don't know what people don't understand. I would be
> happy to eloborate on things if you ask for clarification about things
> you don't understand.

Ditto ..

John Howe, B.S, M.A.
http://www.arashi.com/

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.
-- Albert Einstein