pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] technical details, plan, re: synthesis

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] technical details, plan, re: synthesis
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 20:45:38 -1000 (HST)

Aloha,

> I'm willing to talk about this more for a variety of reasons. Very
> high on my list is that ZODB does not have an effective query
> methodology. ...
<snip>
> One of our primary functions will be data queries....
>
> BTW. Zcatalog and it's Catalog package is the way to have some sort
> of easier querying, not IndexedCatalog.
> Catalog should do everything we
> need.

That has been my assumption. I dunno if the slashdot commenter was aware
of zcatalog in conjunction with ZODB? Admittedly I have done only
relatively simple objects myself thus far, but the indexing and querying
zcatalog provides seems pretty darn easy and powerful. Way more so from
my perspective than creating and normalizing an RDB and then having to
extract everything with SQL queries.

As to design, I still think OO is a far better match for what we are
trying to do than RDB.
I honestly never expected to get anywhere near this close to actually
using OO for this project...I just kept mentioning it now and
again...maybe that subliminal stuff works... ;-)

> Before I started to look more closely at Zcatalog I had pretty
> much schemed up a plan to re-implement what Catalog actually
> does... whew.

Maybe you'll end up making a major contribution to the improvement of
zcatalog...end the supposed lack of solid query methodology for object
DBs...!

> Chad Knepp
> python -c 'import base64;print
> base64.decodestring("cHlnQGdhbGF0ZWEub3Jn")'

Finally got around to running that - way too much trouble for spammers to
bother with, I expect... :-)