pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][4]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Howe" <warlock@arashi.com>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [synthesis][4]
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:15:24 -0700 (PDT)

> Aloha,
>
>> I would like to suggest a plan in case Ibiblio is not immediately ready
>> to host ZOPE: in that case, I suggest we start right away to MYSQL
>> (apologies if the acronym is incorrect). I think we should get started
>> on this project ASAP, and my understanding is that we can always
>> transfer
>> to ZOPE later on.
>
> Um, not in the object-based design mode that I think we have agreed on
> pursuing (Chad, RIch?).
> As they say in Maine, "you can't get there from here." Well, not quite
> that bad, but it would be lots of duplication of effort.
> Zope can talk to MySQL, and a variety of other SQL DBs, but MySQL is not
> an object DB.
> There may be a product or two out there that lets for example zope/python
> objects be stored in a SQL DB, but it is a lot more overhead for all
> concerned, in both development and migration.
> I can't come up with a good relevant simile at the moment, but in general
> it's kind of an apples and oranges thing.
>
> I think I heard John H. offer to host a startup platform for us until
> ibiblio is ready.
> Anything done there can quite easily be transferred to ibiblio once they
> are ready, both the coding and the data.

Yes, I thought that was what I have been communication previously.
Development on arashi services also goes to establish operational
performance metrics for eventual migration to ibiblio...

John Howe, B.S, M.A.
http://www.arashi.com/

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.
-- Albert Einstein