pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] relationship of PC knowledge-base and pcplantdb/HG

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] relationship of PC knowledge-base and pcplantdb/HG
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:36:54 -0700

John Schinnerer wrote:

1) Image acqusition - quality issues - as you say, PIL (python image
library) and perhaps other options will enable on-the-fly image scaling
for particular purposes from "master" images in the database.
However, we can't make it any better than the original, so the better the
originals the better!
In my experience, most people who buy, have and use digital cameras know
almost nothing about the camera's resolution and quality settings in
relation to actual image quality. They do things like shoot highest
resolution saved at lowest quality, etc. So it may behoove us to provide
a FAQ for image contributors. I have given half-day workshops called
"basic digital image wizardry" so I have some documents that I can offer
as the basis for a FAQ, with a bit of rearranging or whatever.

Could you post those documents to this list, John. I would like to add them to
the new wiki I am planning for.

2) copyright - thanks for clarifying what I was trying to say earlier. By
default people retain their own copyright (for three years I believe in
the USA, much longer if they have actually filed hard copy paperwork). So
for contributed images to be "free" as we intend, contributors will need
to agree to some other specific license for images contributed by them. We'll need to be extremely clear and up-front about that to maintain
goodwill of contributors.

I also need a list of and definitions for and preferred versions of public
opensource license agreements
that HG will use. I will create a document on the preferred on to put in the
wiki so people can release
material they submit for use by HG.

I think close intergration of a plant database and a knowledge
base would strengthen both. There will be a higher visability
and hits for a combined resource.

HG may want to do its own wiki but I will do mine anyway as I have planned on
this for some time.
I have keept collections of info online in my websites since the days when
the Interest was email, email lists, usenet news and ftp;
websites, lists, wikis and weblogs are a continuation of that. It is a
rewarding pastime for me and helps me develop an online presence
that will serve my market farming, metalworking, digital
photography/video/audio/web development and woodworking business.

I've still yet to see a wiki that wasn't a lot of work to find whatever I
was looking for in - assuming I could even figure out how to look in any
useful way.

You need to look closer; wikis have a lot to offer. Its free and offers people
an easy way to collaborate on collection building.

Which means, I suppose, that I'm generally with Chad on the expansion of
the intially plant-focused DB to encompass more elements and aspects of
permaculture. I think we can make information much more accessible than
it will be in a wiki.

There's no doubt about that and it has never been an issue; db's and wikis are
very different; db's are much better but a group of folks wanting to
collaborate on a project
aren't going to be able to do it with a db easily and for free.

I have no objection to a wiki - that's not what I'm
here to work on though.

I also don't want to get distracted by this very question. We have a

That's up to you whether you get distracted. I am here to do lists, websites
and wikis
and that is what my contribution to the project will consist of, since I am
not a programmer
and can not be part of the HD software development effort. I will make
suggestions about HG content,
features and structure and hope that the wiki I create and maintain will be
useful to overall HG
development.

fairly clear high-level first stage plan for HG (permaculture-centric
plant database), and Lawrence wants to get this wiki thing going. So
let's carry on with both, respectively, and see how they might tie
together. At the very least each can point people to the other.

I had hoped that with proper public licensing, material could be extracted
from the wiki for use in HG.
Of course the wiki can link to the db and with SSI a website can contain some
interesting linking to external web resources.