nafex - Re: [nafex] complaints about taxpayer funded "club" varieties

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] complaints about taxpayer funded "club" varieties
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 14:26:34 -0700

Matt, any idea what the country of origin was?  That sounds to me like it is
likely to be a broker/marketer problem rather than the grower or packer.  If
it's from the northern hemisphere, putting it in storage and expecting it to
be in decent shape after 11 months is a tall order for most apples, and there
is a fair bit of fruit to fruit variability in terms of exactly how ripe they
were when they were picked for how quickly they fall apart after coming out
of storage.  Something may be passable on the day you buy it and be complete
garbage a week later.  Not to mention there is no telling how long it has
been sitting out of storage in the store before it even comes home with you.
Personally, I would not buy any apples from the store this time of year until
the new crop starts rolling in.  My wife bought some Granny Smith a week or
so ago to put on her oatmeal and was shocked to find that the seeds were
starting to sprout inside the apple.  I
told her that's what happens when it's been in controlled atmosphere storage
for 11 months and that she should wait another month.  You can slow down the
process of the flesh breaking down, but that doesn't mean it's going to be in
decent shape after that long.  Nature just didn't intend them that way!

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia
www.Mdossettphoto.com