nafex - Re: [nafex] complaints about taxpayer funded "club" varieties

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] complaints about taxpayer funded "club" varieties
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 13:55:46 -0700

Melissa,

Protecting brand recognition is also part of it, though it is secondary to
managing supply.  There are several cases where brand protection has been
attempted in apples through the use of trademarked names rather than limiting
supply (in addition to quality) by buying into the club.  For example, Pink
Lady is the trademarked name for Cripp's Pink.  Pink Lady sells for a
slightly higher price in the store because of the brand premium, but growers
have to pay a licensing fee to be able market their fruit as Pink Lady and
are contractually only allowed to market the high quality product that way.
Lower quality apples may still be sold, but must be sold/marketed as Cripp's
Pink.  This protects the brand, but does little to manage supply and demand
when people realize that they are the same variety.  There is even an
instance of rebranding where an apple was sold under one trademarked name and
was a flop because of poor quality in the marketplace, so
they trademarked a second name and began marketing fruit under the new name,
where it was slightly more successful but still never really took off.  Wish
I could remember what it was off the top of my head - I may have to do some
digging to figure it out.

I guess for home gardeners the net result is the same, and it is an
unfortunate trend. The days of publically released varieties are quickly
coming to an end and even non club cultivars of a variety of fruits are often
difficult to obtain because of license restrictions.  I suppose the only
consolation is that if it is truly a fantastic variety, it will have staying
power and will still be around and will be more available after the patent
has expired.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia
www.Mdossettphoto.com
phainopepla@yahoo.com

On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 1:06 PM, Melissa Kacalanos via nafex