nafex - Re: [nafex] Elaeagnus angustifolia

  • From: tanis <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Elaeagnus angustifolia
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 20:44:43 +0000

Southern WI:  I know of autumn olive planted in sandy soil near a marsh.
These have grown into monsters, but not spread much.  Within a mile away, on
soils more like clay, seeds grow well when planted by birds but the mature
plants die quicker of a trunk canker.  In some of this clay soil apple trees
are nearly impossible to establish, so I wonder if the better selections of
autumn olive would be worth trying.

60 degrees today, everything running late